Have you spent the last year fine tuning your cosplay skills while in quarantine? Ready to bust out onto the Main Stage in a gorgeous handcrafted cosplay and show us what you’ve got in the Bayou City Comic Con Cosplay Contest?
BAYOU CITY COMIC CON COSPLAY CONTEST
Incredible handmade costumes spanning the worlds of comics, movies, TV, web series, anime, books, and video games – as well as original characters inspired by these themes – will be center stage during the Bayou City Comic Con Cosplay Contest! This incredible 2-hour performance on Saturday night of Bayou City Comic Con highlights creativity, craftsmanship, charisma, and of course, cosplay.
How does the Bayou City Comic Con Cosplay Contest work?
All contestants will be judged on the quality of their costume as well as their stage presence – so submit your most amazing handmade cosplay, and be prepared to ham it up on stage! Each contestant will go on stage individually (or together if part of a group), and strike two or three awesome poses, as our emcee reads the entrant’s cosplay description, and then the contestant will exit. No speaking or individualization of music is allowed during your performance so make sure to say it all with your body language! ALL COSTUME CONTEST ENTRANTS MUST PRE-REGISTER VIA THE BELOW APPLICATION. THERE IS NO ONSITE REGISTRATION. For more info, please email email@example.com
So what are the categories?
The competition is split into five categories, and you will only be competing in one of these categories:
- TAILORS (These cosplays feature needlework, and are made primarily of cloth, fabric, spandex, etc. with an emphasis on tailoring.)
- WARRIORS (These cosplays feature molding or shaping using acrylic, EVA foam, Worbla, Wonderflex, cardboard, chainmail, and more, with an emphasis on armor.)
- TINKERS (These cosplays feature mechanical/moving parts, electronics, lights, etc. with an emphasis on hardware.)
- BEYOND HUMAN (These cosplays are larger-than-life. They enclose the maker and extend head, height, limbs etc. by (at least) one foot in length or more. This is a cosplay that’s REALLY BIG.)
Many costumes incorporate needlework PLUS Worbla, FX, etc. All WILL be taken into account, but you should enter in the category that fits where the MAJORITY of time and work was focused. Final category placement will be at the discretion of the judges and contest organizers.
What are the rules and requirements of the Bayou City Comic Con Cosplay Contest?
- Contestants must be 16 years of age or older to compete.
- Our Cosplay Contest requires handmade, original costumes. Sorry, but store bought costumes cannot be entered into the competition! The costume must be of original construction or show significant modification to the original materials. At least 60% of your costume must not have been purchased.
- All Cosplay Contest Competitors must be Bayou City Comic Con attendees, and badges will be checked before competing.
- By entering the Bayou City Comic Con Cosplay Contest, you agree to allow us to reuse photos you provide for marketing purposes and promotion as well as future events and will be asked to sign a release form if your application is accepted.
Here are some other important things to keep in mind when applying and creating your cosplay!
- You can apply as many times as you would like with as many costumes as you would like, but please note that only one costume can be accepted into the contest per person.
- In the application, you will be asked for a 100-word cosplay description to be read aloud. This may describe the details of the cosplay or provide a story about the character being portrayed. You may offer details about the construction process, materials, number of work hours, or anything that might impress the judges and fans. We reserve the right to edit introduction material for time and content.
- In the application, you will be asked to provide links to photos of your cosplay. In-progress images are okay, but please remember that the quality of this image is a part of how we judge your application! A good quality image can absolutely help your application to be approved. You must also submit a reference color photo of the character you are portraying if you wish for accuracy to be taken into account during your judging if the judges are not familiar with the character.
- You are responsible for all expenses incurred in order to compete in the Bayou City Comic Con Cosplay Contest.
- Please note cosplays must comply with Bayou City Comic Con’s Cosplay and Costume Weapons Policies.
- Please note cosplays and performers must comply with Bayou City Comic Con’s Anti Harassment Policy. This means no profanity, hate speech, religious, political, or otherwise inflammatory messages are allowed.
And here’s some things you’ll need to know for the actual performance itself!
- All contestants must be available for pre-judging Saturday before the show. The time and location will be disclosed to you upon your application’s acceptance. The entire pre-judging process takes about 2-4 hours for all contestants but you will only be needed for a portion of that time – maybe 15-20 minutes.
- All contestants must arrive where the contest is being held at least one hour before our contest begins.
- No specific character music, videos, or skits will be allowed during your performance or pre-judging.
- You must be able to walk on/off stage and maneuver freely in your costume without assistance unless medically necessary.
Stay tuned for more information on prizes.